The Net System
The posts supporting the net shall be placed outside each side line, and shall be no further than a 1.0 metre from each side line.
- When playing on grass and hard surfaces courts, posts shall be 1.55m in height from the surface of the court.
- For sand surface, the posts shall be 1.5m in height and the top of the net from the surface should be 1.45m at the centre of the court.
Research showed that by lowering the net to 1.45m, errors were reduced and rallies were extended.
The net shall be made of thick cord of dark colour and with a mesh between 1.5cm and 2cm.
- It should have between 80cm and 1m in depth and 6.1m wide minimum.
- It is recommended that the top and bottom of the net should be edged with a 5cm white tape doubled over a cord or cable running through the tape.
- At the ends of the net, the upper and bottom cables shall be fastened to the posts to keep its top and bottom taut.
Portable net systems are also very popular and can be purchased at most sporting goods stores.